Thursday, January 1, 2015

Mission Accomplished!

Mission Accomplished!


Even this techie girl -- this self-proclaimed geek -- still enjoys one, very old, very low-tech vice.  I love, love, love to read books.  And when I say that I love to read books, I DON'T mean on a Kindle, Nook, iPad, or other electronic device.

This techie loves the old-fashioned feel of paper between her hands.  

Yup -- I love "real" books.

For the last four years, my new year's resolution has been to read at least 52 books in a year -- averaging about one book per week.  Now, since I often read story books to my students and to my own children, those don't count.  The books I use to reach my goal have to be novels or books longer than 100 pages.

I've NEVER met my goal -- until this year. I hit December and realized I was only four books away from reaching my goal! I couldn't believe it.  To help motivate myself, I told as many people as I could about my goal. I wanted them to keep me on track and encourage me. 

It worked!

Many people ask me how I keep track of the books I read. I use a social networking app called Goodreads.  It's a great place to keep track of the books you read, want to read, are currently reading, and more.  There is also a "social" aspect to it in that you can become friends with people from around the world and see what they are reading as well.  I love this site.  Not only does it give me a quick and easy way to track what I'm reading, but I can get all sorts of ideas for new books to read by looking at what my friends are reading. The app itself will even make book suggestions for me based on the books I've already read.



For parents who read this blog, you do you have to be 13 or older to be a member of the site/app.  Members can read and write book reviews -- which are not filtered.  It's quite rare that I come across an "offensive" book review; however, I needed to put that disclaimer out there.

Hmmmm . . .  this blog post started out as one that spoke to my "non-techie" side, but I still had to squeeze some tech into this one, didn't I?

What is YOUR new year's resolution? How do you keep motivated to accomplish your goals?

Interested in the list of books I read during 2014?  My list is HERE.


Image from: http://sarahockwell-smith.com/2013/12/31/six-new-years-resolutions-every-parent-should-make/

No comments:

Post a Comment