Friday, August 15, 2014

Getting Ready for a New School Year!: Setting Up a Homework Tub at Home

Okay, so I will quickly admit that this post has nothing to do with what most people would

consider technology; however, considering that at one point in time, pencils and pens, staplers, and binder clips were "new technology," I'm going to try to get away with this post.

I would encourage all teachers to share this post with parents at Back-to-School night as a way to show them how they can help their children be more organized when it comes to doing homework each night. I'll provide a shortened URL and QR code to make it REALLY easy to share. There will be a link for teachers to PRINT at the bottom of this blog post.

Both of my children know that the dining room table is the place to do homework.  In our dining room, I've always kept a "homework tub" with all the supplies they've needed to quickly get down to the business of doing their work. 

The contents of the tub have changed a bit over the years -- for instance in kindergarten, Margaret Alice's word flashcards were kept in the bin. When each of my kids were working on Rocket Math facts, math addition and subtraction flash cards were kept in the bin.  This year, I've added a ruler and stapler into the mix as these seemed to be items I kept running to the closet to grab last year.

This homework tub doesn't have to be expensive.  I found the container in the Target dollar bins a few years ago, but I've seen them elsewhere -- including Family Dollar. The school supplies I stock up on during August Back to School sales, so they also don't break the bank.   
The smaller containers are mason jars and old candle holders I had laying around the house. 


To keep the jars from sliding around as the kids push the homework tub back and forth across the table, I use putty on the bottoms of the jars. 


Finally, the bin itself is kept in a cupboard in the dining room. 





What exactly is included in this small homework tub:

  • Colored pencils
  • Markers
  • Crayons
  • Glue
  • Glue sticks
  • Small stapler
  • Extra staples
  • Ruler (it's rubber, so it bends to fit inside the tote)
  • Scissors
  • Highlighters
  • Pencils
  • Pens 
  • Large eraser
  • Post-it Notes

Teachers: Click on the link below to print a handout for Back-to-School night or to send home with students during the first few weeks of school.

Organizing a Homework Tub Handout

--Jenn McMahon, Library Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment